We know our audience is well educated about stormwater filtration systems, when regulation calls for them, and how they should be used and installed. But every year at trade shows and lunch and learn presentations, we are surprised to find out how many engineers don’t know about some benefits offered by the Aqua-Filter.
Here are a few to check out.
1. If it’s installed in the USA, it’s built in the USA. That’s right; the Aqua-Filter is built at home, as close to the installation state as possible. This allows us to deliver the product faster and more cost efficiently.
2. Installing the Aqua-Filter doesn’t require a crane. The modular construction and lightweight but durable materials mean skipping the high cost of a crane.
3. As a bonus, the installation doesn’t require special sealants for piping connections.
4. Each unit includes lifting supports and stub-outs for the inlet and outlet piping to allow for quick and simple connections.
5. A dual process, with vortex separation removing larger pollutants prior to the water reaching the filtration chamber, extends the life of the filter media and reduces maintenance requirements.
6. Independent validation should always be considered. Options include the new Total Phosphorus Removal Credit from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, along with NJDEP certification and NJCAT verification. The Aqua-Filter has independent field test verification and total Phosphorus Removal Credit from Virginia.
7. What storage is included for sediment? What about oil and debris? This number can help you consider the long-term cost of maintenance. The Aqua-Filter has sediment storage of up to 310 ft3 and oil and debris storage up to 1,900 gallons.
8. The Aqua-Filter works with the only EPA registered filter media for stormwater treatment. PathShield filter media offers a new approach to water treatment by killing bacteria when it comes into contact with filter media granules. The filter media is stable, non-toxic, not consumed, non-corrosive, requires no power source to kill bacteria, and is not affected by temperature changes.
9. The Aqua-Filter can be customized to work with your project. You can start with our project and system design tool at or call us to speak with our experienced, technical team of experts.
You might also like to read our comparison between NJDEP and NJCAT.
The Hydrodynamic Separator is like a trusted Ford pickup, reliable and easy to maintain. Like a dependable Ford, the Hydrodynamic Separator (HDS) might seem a bit dull next to the shiny new low impact development (LID) practices, but in reality, this equipment is essential to a well-rounded LID plan.
LID practices have dramatically expanded. They focus on landscape-based and water retention designs that reduce runoff volume and mimic predevelopment hydrology to meet goals of runoff reduction and water quality treatment close to the runoff source. Plus regulations often reward developers for infiltration and/or rainwater harvesting. Regulatory agencies also recognize the added value of HDS for upstream protection of sensitive LID practices. Too often HDS has been relegated to traditional, end-of-pipe solutions. Not so fast! Hydrodynamic separators play an important role in developing a treatment train that is essential to the long-term success of LID practices, including infiltration, harvesting, bioretention and storage.
At first a combined approach using HDS can seem counterintuitive to LID, it’s actually a comprehensive, long-term solution that can address problems before they start. Over time, this treatment train approach can reduce the long-term harmful buildup of particles, dirt and trash within LID facilities. For example, one Chattanooga, Tennessee customer embraced this idea and used an HDS to pretreat runoff for an underground rainwater harvesting structure used for surface infiltration landscaping irrigation, toilet flushing, and even a decorative fountain on top of both structures.
As you can see from this example, the best of both a traditional and progressive approach can improve aesthetics, reduce maintenance time and costs for the facility, increase the entire system lifecycle, all the while enhancing property equity to maximize land use from that of a conventional stormwater management approach.
You might also enjoy Comparing NJDEP and NJCAT: Which Standard to Follow?
The first Aqua-Swirl in Bahrain was installed in the parking lot of the now iconic Four Seasons Hotel. Bahrain Bay is the Kingdom of Bahrain’s first master planned mixed-use waterfront community, situated off the northeast coast of the capital Manama. The $2.5 billion development has a masterplan designed to create a fusion of residential, commercial, retail, tourism, and community facilities and public amenities.
The engineering wonder is built on a reclaimed island in the center of Bahrain Bay.
The project included two Aqua-Swirl AS-6s to return clean water to the bay and reduce flooding. Though rainfall is scarce, large amounts of rain tend to fall at once, creating runoff and often flooding. Having a solution that allows for high water flows was essential. The Aqua-Swirl treats flows up to 178L/s.
“Service is extremely important for this client, so ensuring that runoff doesn’t collect on the car lots was a high priority. No one wants cars flooded at this high-rise,” said Sellam Hmadouch, Aqua-Shield’s Middle-East representative.
Check out the awesome photos of this engineering feat below.
NJ.com recently announced that Jersey City was awarded a $260,000 grant toward post Hurricane Sandy resiliency projects. You can read about the six target projects the money will support, including shoreline protection, flood planning and stormwater management techniques in the full NJ.com article.
The AquaShield team is honored to contribute to the ongoing recovery of New Jersey. In 2013, the Aqua-Swirl was selected to meet stringent new construction and stormwater treatment rules for the Route 35 rebuild. At the completion of the project, several large diameter Aqua-Swirls featuring hydrodynamic separation (vortex) technology will be installed in a variety of sizes. You can read more about how AquaShield worked on the project in our case study, “Helping to Rebuild a Community.”
Would you like to view the presentation?
Water specialists and engineers are increasingly focused on low impact development (LID) technology and stormwater solutions that reduce runoff and provide water quality treatment. At AquaShield™ we developed an LID pyramid to help our clients and engineers select the solution that is best for their stormwater project.
No one does stormwater testing like New Jersey, so when you receive a nod from the top you can’t help but brag a little bit.
The Aqua-FilterTM Stormwater Filtration System recently received independent field test verification by the prestigious New Jersey Corporation for Advanced Technology (NJCAT). Based on this information, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection has issued the Aqua-Filter Field Certification for the removal of 80% TSS at a filter loading rate of 16.5 gpm/ft2 (.037 cfs/ft2).
Many communities look to New Jersey’s progressive stormwater policies and in-depth testing to ensure that products live up to their performance claims. We’re proud to pass the test!
The Aqua-Filter is a flow-through water quality device that we custom design to remove fine-grained sediment, heavy metals bound to particulate matter and residual oil. And that’s what it does – in the lab and in the ground.
So what makes the Aqua-Filter a go-to
solution for stormwater challenges?
This custom-designed product is a good fit when you need to add filtration after the construction is done. The Aqua-Filter is lightweight, avoids the need for heavy lifting equipment during installation and is fabricated to fit your needs right here in the U.S.
The Aqua-Filter might be the right
fit for your project if you need:
· Low Impact Design compatibility
· Cost-effective installation
· LEED credits
· Long-term functionality
· Proven and verified performance
You can download tech reports and access
more information about the NJCAT verified Aqua-Filter on our product page.
AquaShield staff keeping you up to date on the latest in stormwater solutions.
AquaShield, a Komline Company
2733 Kanasita Drive, Suite 111
Chattanooga, TN 37343
Toll Free: 888.344.9044 | Phone: 423.870.8888
© 2000-2024 AquaShield™. All Rights Reserved.